1 November 2014 will mark 100 years since the first convoy sailed from Albany carrying Australian and New Zealand troops to the first world war.
Over the last few years "City of Albany" and the State government have been upgrading our "Anzac Historical Sights" with great anticipation for the Centenary Event this coming November. You can find out what's happening with up to date schedule of events and services at Albany Anzac website - http://www.anzacalbany.com.au
Places of interest :
- Princess Royal Fortress - www.albany.wa.gov.au/facilities/princess-royal-fortress
- Mt Clarence - Desert Mounted Corps Memorial : Site of Albany's Anzac Dawn service each year on 25th April.
- Padre White Lookout - Mt Clarence Memorial : Steel walkway structure located at the top of Mt Clarence.
- Ataturk Memorial " Ellen Cove Boardwalk" : overlooking the channel, scenic boardwalk that leads Albany CBD to Middleton Beach.
- Anzac Peace park : Princess Royal Drive ; CBD foreshore
- National Anzac Centre - www.nationalanzaccentre.com.au
One of the upgrades this year was the "Mt Clarence Memorial" Also Known as " Desert Mounted Corps Memorial" a opening ceremony was held this May : see some pictures below of our handmade wildflower garland. Made from all locally grown native wildflower flowers and foliage - or visit the Facebook log https://www.facebook.com/343639022358119/photos/pcb.710966458958705/710966395625378/?type=1&theater